ENJOY FREE SHIPPING SITEWIDE! ADVENTURE ON!
April 21, 2018
Happy Earth Day!
We just love the buzz that surrounds this day. And we love to be inspired by all the amazing things people are doing to save this planet! There is so much that is being done - from innovative ways to clean the ocean, to new biodegradable products, and even school children taking a day to clean up their community. So THANK YOU to everyone who is taking part in making this planet livable for generations to come.
As a business, we have a responsibility to reduce our footprint on Mama Nature, just like everyone else. Besides recycling paper products, we would like to share with you 13 goals that we are either maintaining or working toward!
1. Extra Mile Ingredient Sourcing. This means we source as many local ingredients as possible - which is easy because we grow some SUPERSTAR ingredients on our Canadian Prairies, like oats, flax and hemp. Our honey is also proudly Canadian.
When choosing non-local ingredients, such as sprouted brown rice protein or almonds, we do our research to ensure we source the best ingredients we can find that don’t impact the earth (or people) in a negative way.
2. Re-sealable Packaging & Stickers! We have heard SO many people say that they’ve eaten half of a protein bar, folded the package to save for later and it just DIES (and crumbles) on the bottom of their purse or bag. By adding the re-sealable sticker, our bars actually stay wrapped up and ready to eat later (without the lint and hair attached). No food waste!
We encourage everyone to use the GORP labels as stickers for things like their water bottle, their bicycles, their laptops and more! One less piece of waste going into a landfill 😊
3. Ready Mix. By making your own GORP bars with our Ready Mix, you are saving individual wrappers x25!
4. We encourage the use of re-usable snack bags, like Colibri Canada, which we happily sell on our website! These are great for fruits, veggies or your Ready Mix GORP bars!
5. Produce in small batches. Our bars and mixes are produced weekly, and we produce them in small batches. This way, we never have expired product sitting on the shelf, and our product is always fresh when it hits your pantry.
6. Biodegradable Packaging Research. It's not available yet, but we've seen some really innovative products that are in development! We have to wait for the barrier properties of the packaging to be able to control the moisture of our bar. If there is too much moisture, the bar grows mold - and we don't use artificial preservatives, so it happens quickly if it isn't packaged correctly! We are working toward it! #GOALS
7. Reduce office printing. Because we can all use a kick in the pants in this department.
8. Encouragement of walking or biking to work. For our local staff, which is most of us, we encourage each other to walk or ride their bikes to work - especially now that the weather is getting nicer!
9. Re-usable water bottles and coffee mugs! No plastic bottles allowed here!
10. Practicing Mindful Adventure. As part of our mission statement, this one is important to us. We LOVE a good adventure, but our goal is to leave no trace. Our goal is not to 'take' from Mother Nature, but to enjoy her, take a tree bath and be grateful. Pick up litter when we see it and not pick and destroy nature.
11. Adopt a highway. A staff goal that we have this year is to adopt a highway in or near our community and clean it up!
12. Energy Efficient Systems. In our brand new facility on the farm, we have installed an energy efficient heating and cooling system, as well as automatic hand wash stations! We shut the lights off when they aren't in use and turn the heat down when no one is in the office!
13. B Corp Certification. This one is definitely a work in progress, and there is a lot of work to do, but it's something that is always in the back of our mind. We are trying to use our business as a force for good, and the B Corp method can help us get there! #oneday
We know we aren't perfect. We promise to keep researching and finding new ways to reduce our footprint and keep this world a happy, healthy place!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
November 30, 2019
WE MAKE FOOD. FOOD THAT'S GOOD FOR YOU. FOOD THAT WILL POWER YOUR DAY.
We are about loving life and nourishing our bodies so we can work, play, jump, fight, bike, paddle, run, climb, and roar our way into the next adventure!
We love to follow along on your adventures! Use #gorpbar or tag us at @gorpbar!
Sign up for our newsletter & get 15% OFF your next order! Plus hear about sales and promos first.
We send emails when we have a sale, a new product, or something exciting to share!
Have a question or a good joke to share? Maybe a new product or flavor request.
Or click on the CONTACT US tab in the menu and fill out the message template!