Free shipping sitewide!
August 26, 2016
We are making our way through the pails and pails of zucchinis. Finally starting to make a dent. Hey did you know some of the health benefits of Zucchinis?
Zucchini is one of the very low calorie vegetables; provide only 17 calories per 100 g. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol. Its peel is good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offers some protection against colon cancers.
Zucchinis have anti-oxidant value (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity- ORAC) of 180 Trolex Equivalents (TE) per 100g, the value which is far below to some of the berries, and vegetables. Nonetheless, the pods are one of the common vegetables included in weight reduction and cholesterol control programs by the dieticians.
Furthermore, zucchinis, especially golden skin varieties, are rich in flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants such ascarotenes, lutein and zea-xanthin. These compounds help scavenge harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the body that play a role in aging and various disease processes.
Great, that makes me feel good about all the cheese I'm about to put into this next recipe ;)
Recipe of the day
Some nutrient rich comfort food, if you ask me - even my kids ate it!
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter (or coconut oil would be nice)
1 cup basmati rice (or rice of your choice)
2 cups vegetable broth
1 medium zucchini, shredded with cheese grater
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (our fave is Bothwell Cheese!)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1. If you are prepared and have grated your zucchini already - props to you! If you are like me, and wait until the last minute to cook - join me while I grate a medium sized Zucchini...
2. Next dice up that onion. Throw them in a sauce pan (something deep enough to put all the ingredients in) Then on medium/high heat, sauté onions and minced garlic in olive oil until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant.
3. Add in rice (uncooked), stirring continuously until slightly toasted.
4. Pour in veggie broth and bring to a boil. Cover, and turn down heat to low. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
5. Stir in shredded zucchini, cheeses, 2 tbsp butter and salt. Stir until well combined and cheese is melted.
And it's ready to go! It's definitely a filling dish, so I paired it with some fresh cucumbers - but can be a great side dish for many meals!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
November 30, 2019
WE MAKE FOOD. FOOD THAT'S GOOD FOR YOU. FOOD THAT WILL POWER YOUR DAY.
We are about loving life and nourishing our bodies so we can work, play, jump, fight, bike, paddle, run, climb, and roar our way into the next adventure!
We love to follow along on your adventures! Use #gorpbar or tag us at @gorpbar!
Sign up for our newsletter & get 15% OFF your next order! Plus hear about sales and promos first.
We send emails when we have a sale, a new product, or something exciting to share!
Have a question or a good joke to share? Maybe a new product or flavor request.
Or click on the CONTACT US tab in the menu and fill out the message template!